Sunday, September 13, 2009

The back 50

So I'm turning 50 years old soon. By my reckoning, that puts me at about half way. I expect to get to 100 (give or take a month or two) and so while time isn't actually "running out", I am approaching my "hump day".

The first 50 years were pretty set out for me.

1. Grow up: check (depending on the day)
2. Getting married: check and check again
3. Have children: check then double check
4. Raise the children: check and almost check

That pretty well sums up the front 50. The back 50 isn't quite so mapped out. I'm afraid if I don't consciously create something, then nothing will happen. I don't want to live by default.

So this isn't a comprehensive list, but its a good start, I think.

I want to belong to a global neighborhood. I want to find myself on the back streets of foreign countries. Walking with a purpose and a project. I want to know the people that I pass by and be able to greet them in their own language. I want to inquire about their families and know the name of their dog.

I love words and the sounds they make and the meanings they represent. I love the people that use them and the way they wrap them around their own personality and expression. I want to speak Russian fluently and then maybe French or Spanish or Italian or something.

I want to sing really loud. Really really loud. Heidi got pulled over one day because she and her friends were singing Michael Jackson really loud and the car windows were rolled down. I'd maybe like to try that.

I want to dance, in the middle of the night, with long lines of people snaking and circling around a bon fire or an impromptu band like that night in France.

I'm sure there is more, but I think that's a pretty good start. Walking, talking, singing, dancing. That's not so far fetched, right? Here I go...wish me luck :)

2 comments:

  1. "I wanna wanna be where you are oh ohhhhhh" It was actually the Jackson 5. Thanks for taking a chance on us this morn, made our day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is almost as good as our pilates/therapy sessions. Maybe I should start doing pilates while I read your blog? :) I miss you...a lot. Thanks for sharing you. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete